Leaderboard ad

Passionfruit ads

Thursday 21 June 2012

'Delivery room paparazzi': documenting your baby's birth

The Daily Mail [UK] has reported there is a rise in what they term 'delivery room paparazzi'.


Now, that's just another term coined by a publication, hoping it morphs into a zeitgeist-y word, but really, in a world where we are now enamoured with capturing every single moment, it's no surprise that hiring someone to capture this special, never-to-repeated time is increasing in popularity. And 'paps' infers there is a squadron of people angling for the best shot. But no, as you can see from these precious, pro snaps, it's as intimate and one-on-one as it gets.








  • Isn't this little family just divine?

    That's mum Kristyn, dad Adam, fresh-born little bub is a little girl they named Dylan Violet, and big brother Izakk.

    They were photographed by Erin Byrne, of Life Stories Photography http://www.lifestoriesphotography.com.au/ and this woman genuinely loves a birth photo session. She tells Josie's Juice why, in her own words.

    "Birth is one of my favourite things in the world to photograph. 

    "There is so much raw emotion involved when a couple first meets the baby they have just brought into the world. It's an amazing privilege to be able to capture that moment.

    "The thing I most regret about the birth of my own son is I didn't have it photographed. I have six blurry, very posed photographs. Sure, I look happy, but they tell nothing of the tidal wave of love I first felt when I saw my baby for the first time, the proud look of my husband, and the blissful smiles of relief that he was here and healthy.

    "I think when people picture birth photography they picture it very literally. I am often asked where I stand when they baby finally comes out. My response: usually by mum's head unless asked otherwise.

    When I photograph a birth I like to be a fly on the wall - it's the couple's moment, not mine. I am there to capture it, record their memories, and let them relive that happiness in the years to come."


    So, what about you? Did you have a professional birth photographer? Are you now planning to? Or do you wish you had hired a pro for this incredible day? Share your thoughts. 

    You can also 'like' Erin's Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Life-Stories-Photography/97906080740
     


2 comments:

  1. I have just booked Erin! I can't wait for her to work her magic behind the camera when I meet our little girl!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I found the UK Daily Mail article and all the relevant comments on it to be very sadly negative. Why do people assume that Birth Photography is a woman wanting to show off or that we desperately want to show everyone the images either? It IS an intimate and personal time and that is WHY I want it captured for my husband and I to have recorded in time forever. I'm not doing it for anyone else but me! I'm having the baby, I think I deserve to choose to have a professional quality image of the moment if I want it without judgement! Thanks for giving Birth Photography a much more positive vibe!

    ReplyDelete