Leaderboard ad

Passionfruit ads

Monday 1 April 2013

Ruby Rose: Depression Battle Sees Shows Cancelled

In news in today, Ruby Rose - DJ, model, and TV presenter - has announced she is "losting my battle with depression" and subsequently cancelled tour date.



She took to Twitter to apologise to fans for cancelling her gigs this month after ''feeling down'' and depressed:

''It is with great sadness that despite everything I have tried in the short time I was given I am still losing my battle with depression,'' she said.

''As for cancelled dates this month I'm sorry. Very. But these things need attention sometimes. I urge u all to do the same if feeling down x.''

Support from fans offering kind words and encouragement has flooded her Twitter wall.

You can read more here.

It's definitely sad news for Ruby, but a brilliant move that she has identified it, taken steps to do something about it, and has gone so public, which will ultimately help scores of sufferers of depression and anxiety.

Indeed, she has publicly spoken about her depression battle before:

"I absolutely hated school. There were five girls and one boy who picked on me badly. They followed me all the time after school, just yelling abuse at me. I would get so petrified I'd just run home - I never retaliated," she said in 2009.

"I never cried in front of them. I think that made it worse. They were determined to break me. Sometimes they would just come up and punch me in the head, but there was a lot of intimidation."

Ruby's mother only learned of the abuse when Ruby was admitted to hospital after one of the girls bashed her with a metal chair.

While five girls and one boy were suspended from the school for three weeks over the attack, she had been left battling depression.

"I was scarily depressed," she said.

"But I got help. I was lucky, had counselling and was on anti-depressants for a time.

What is your experience of depression, or that of someone close to you. Please feel free to share below.

If you are experiencing depression, or know someone who is, call 1300 22 46 36  or click right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment