Leaderboard ad

Passionfruit ads

Friday 3 October 2014

Teresa and Joe Giudice sentenced to jail

Reality TV stars Teresa and Joe Giudice have been sentenced to jail.

Teresa will serve 15 months in jail, while Joe will serve 41 months in jail. She will serve her time before him, in staggered sentences.

The husband and wife reality TV stars from 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' were just sentenced - Joe first, then Teresa.



Teresa will serve 15 months in prison for fraud charges, Judge Esther Salas announced Thursday. 

"For a moment I thought about probation… but I think a period of confinement is absolutely necessary in this case," said the judge. "I don't honestly believe that you understand or respect the law. I need to send a message. In the eyes of the law it doesn't matter who you are. There are consequences to pay." 

In a tearful statement before the court earlier Thursday afternoon, Teresa said, "My daughters are my life. I'm more sorry than anyone will ever know. I will make this right no matter what." 

She also added, "I'm really scared … I need to learn to do things for myself. It's time for me to wake up." 

Joe was sentenced to the 41 months on four counts, plus 12 months on an additional count, to be served concurrently. He'll also get two years probation and will have to pay $414,000 to Wells Fargo bank, plus $10,000 in fines. He will be able to surrender himself. 

"I stand here humiliated," Joe said in a statement before the sentencing. "I disgraced many people including my wife and my four daughters. I take full responsibility for my actions. I promise to be a better person." 

Before handing down the sentence, the judge told Joe: "I am not sure you respect this court or our laws and I'm not sure you understand what you've done." She also added, "I want you home with your girls. You're a great dad." 

The judge said that immigration services will not act on Joe's deportation case until after his sentence is served, and she recommended that he participate in an alcohol program. 
Joe, an Italian citizen, still faces the possibility of deportation upon the conclusion of his prison term.

The couple's legal woes came to a head in July of 2013 when they were charged in a 39-count indictment that included conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications, and bankruptcy fraud. 

After originally pleading not guilt to all charges, they then changed their plea to guilty last March. 


The couple have four daughters, Audriana, 5, Milania, 8, Gabriella, 9, and Gia, 13. 


'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' screens in Australia on Arena TV, on Foxtel, Sundays at 8.30pm, with repeats throughout the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment